Bizarre rebuild errors

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@mvista.com
Thu Jan 30 01:37:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 08:30:46PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> Almost every time I cvs update recently, either version.h or bfd.h ends up
> empty when they're regenerated, and the build fails.  Then I go kick it by
> hand and everything works.
>
> Does anyone else see this behaviour?  Any ideas where to look?  I can't
> figure out how it's happening, and I spent quite a bit of time trying to
> work it out yesterday.

As soon as I say that I find the problem.  You can't run more than one
config.status at once, because of "conftest.s$ac_file" and "rm -f
conftest.s*".

This appears to be a bug in Automake and/or autoconf; autoconf is at
fault and automake generates the offending rules.  We trigger it now
whenever:
  make -j2
  bfdver.h needs to be rebuilt
  bfd.h needs to be rebuilt