When using objdump on an object file...

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Mon Jan 27 16:13:00 GMT 2003

James Sampson <i_am_triumph@ofir.dk> writes:

> If I'm using objdump on an object file, it naturally uses the BFD to extract
> information from that file. But since its only one file I'm working with, does
> this mean that only one instance of the BFD's abfd is instatiated, or does it
> use multiple abfd's per file?.

I don't understand precisely what you are asking.  abfd is a typical
variable name used for a BFD, but it's not a structure name.

It's true that objdump will normally create one instance of the `bfd'
type (`bfd' is a typedef for `struct _bfd').  It is created via a call
to bfd_openr().  bfd_openr() is normally called once in a single run
of objdump on an object file.

Ian