elfxx-ia64.c question

David Mosberger davidm@napali.hpl.hp.com
Fri Jan 24 22:58:00 GMT 2003

  Richard> The only reason to move away from gp-relative is to avoid
  Richard> having some magic constant that needs looking up to resolve
  Richard> the complete address.  You don't get that from either
  Richard> secrel or segrel -- you'd still need to track the base
  Richard> address against which these are relative.

  Richard> Best just fix whatever pcrel gas problem you're having.

I don't want to force people to have to upgrade their toolchain just
to build the kernel.  Also, I don't have time to work on the assembler
now, so I have to make do with what's there.

Independent of what we do in the kernel, it seems to me that @secrel()
is currently broken.  I saw Alan's mail but don't understand whether
or under what circumstances exactly truncating a @secrel() to 0 is the
correct thing to do.  If there are legitimate reasons to do that,
perhaps the linker can be fixed to do it only when it's safe.

	--david