(toplevel patch) Use canonical names for target_subdir, build_subdir.

Nathanael Nerode neroden@twcny.rr.com
Fri Jan 24 18:32:00 GMT 2003

Alexandre Oliva wrote:
> On Jan 24, 2003, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>Use the canonical build and target names for build_subdir and target_subdir.
>

> Not ok.  athlon-linux-gnu is canonicalized to i686-linux-gnu, so we
> can't use the same directories for both of them.  (Consider building a
> compiler on athlon that must run on i686, or on the other way round).
Eeech.  All right.

> I see where you're coming from, but we're really going to have to bite
> the bullet and duplicate autoconf 2.5x's behavior WRT machine name
You mean autoconf 2.13's behavior, I assume...

> variables, or convince autoconf folks to give us some means to obtain
> the defaulted values, which shouldn't be too hard.  Say, if configure
> could set {build,host,target}_noncanonical to whatever autoconf 2.13
> used to set as {build,host,target}_alias, we'd be all set.  Bonus
> points of they actually agree to go back to setting the _alias
> variables in a backward-compatible way,
They won't, and frankly I agree with them.

 > while setting _cmdline to
> whatever was passed in the command line.

OK.  I'll do this the easy way:  I'll write Autoconf macros which
determine the "target_subdir" and "build_subdir" (exactly the same way
they're determined now), put the macros in an include file, and rewrite
the configure scripts to include it.  How does that sound?

--Nathanael