question about using gcc, addr2line, objdump on solaris 8

Hagai Yaffe HagaiY@Cyber-Ark.com
Thu Jan 23 07:01:00 GMT 2003

hello.

i am a programmer and i am working with gnu gcc, addr2line and objdump on
solaris 8 sparc system. i have a problem using addr2line and objdump.
what that i want to do is to translate an offset of an assembler line in an
obj file to a c line in my source code.

when i use those commands on exe files it works ok :

bash-2.03# addr2line -e hton 100000a3c -f
main
/export/home/hagaiy/hton.c:31

but i need to do the same thing on obj files (not exe) and then i get
somthing like this :

bash-2.03#  addr2line -e lp.o 00000000000015dc -f
main
??:0

when i try to use objdump i get only assambler lines.

i am writing a kernel module so i cant create an exe file and i must work
with obj files, and i need to be able to translate offsets in my obj file to
a c line number in my source code for dump analisys.
is there a way to do what i want ? during compliation or after ?

i would be gratefull for any help on this issue.

tx alot.
hagai yaffe.