dividing of literal values in gas 2.10.1 versus 2.13.x

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Wed Jan 22 07:04:00 GMT 2003

"Jonathan Mayo" <jmayo@pillardata.com> writes:

> I'm using inline asm in gcc to insert the following:
>
> .byte (123/10)
>

> when it goes through the assembler it reports:
> {standard input}:57: Error: Missing ')' assumed
>

> I'm having the problem with 'GNU assembler 2.10.1'
>
> It works perfectly in 'GNU assembler 2.13.90.0.16 20021126'
>
> Unfortunetly to continue to get support from our vendor I have to
> use the GNU tools they gave us. (and they weren't able to give me an
> answer to this problem).

Why bother to stick with your vendor if they aren't going to support
you anyhow?  It seems like there is some missing logic there.

Maybe it will work if you put in some spaces.  Otherwise, I would
compare the function do_scrub_chars in the two versions of gas.  I
suspect that's the most likely place for a bug fix.

If you ask any more questions on this mailing list, be sure to specify
the target.  The choice of target affects how gas interprets the input
file.

Ian