PowerPC64 TLS ABI

Richard Henderson rth@twiddle.net
Sat Jan 18 02:05:00 GMT 2003

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 12:50:03PM +1100, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> But the linker still needs to know the size of the TCB in this scheme,
> no?  Is that potentially a problem?

Well, there's the "TCB" as described in the TLS document,
which is fixed at 16 bytes in the variant I scheme.  Or,
I suppose, at 2 pointers; to-date no 32-bit port has used
that scheme.

Then there's the pthread descriptor structure, which is
separate.  The linker doesn't have to know about this.
We do magic in the thread library itself to set things
up and access it.

r~