[RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions (take 2)

Klee Dienes klee@apple.com
Sun Jan 12 10:32:00 GMT 2003

The following is the current state-of-the art of my autoconf-2.5x 
conversion of the gcc/gdb/binutils repositories. It updates the 
following directories:

common:	libiberty
src:		bfd binutils gas gdb gprof ld mmalloc opcodes rda sim utils
gcc:		boehm-gc fastjar gcc libf2c libffi libjava libobjc libstdc++-v3 

It does *not* update the following directories:

common:	include texinfo config etc contrib
src:		blt cgen cpu dejagnu expect intl itcl iwidgets libgloss libgui 
newlib readline tcl tk winsup sid"
gcc:		libbanshee libchill libio libmudflap libstdc++"

I used the following versions of the various tools:

libtool:		1.4e (top-of-tree, with the attached patch)
autoconf:		2.57 (with the attached patch)
automake:	1.7.2
gettext:		0.11.5
autogen:		5.5

The attached archive contains the following files:

setup.sh:			Script to convert to autotools-2.5x and build an uberbaum 
autoconf.txt:		Fixes to autoconf-2.57 required by this patch.
common-diffs.txt	Patches to directories shared by 'src' and gcc.
gcc-diffs.txt		Patches to the gcc directories.
libtool-diffs.txt		Patch to libtool-1.4e required by this patch.
src-diffs.txt		Patches to the 'src' directories.
top-diffs.txt		Patches to top-level files in both 'src' and gcc.

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: ChangeLog
Type: application/octet-stream
Size: 10205 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20030112/f08e1be8/attachment.obj>
-------------- next part --------------
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: autoconf-diffs.tar.gz
Type: application/x-gzip
Size: 25776 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://sourceware.org/pipermail/binutils/attachments/20030112/f08e1be8/attachment.bin>
-------------- next part --------------

To run, first read through setup.sh, and make sure it won't do anything 
you don't want it to do on your system.  Then set the values of 
src_gcc, src_src, and dst_root, and run setup.sh.    The script will 
rsync the checked-out gcc and src sources into a new directory, apply 
the patches, and run autoreconf on all the appropriate directories.

I've built directory on i386-unknown-linux-gnu native, targetted to 
powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu, and natively on i686-pc-cygwin (I got some 
errors building winsup on cygwin, but they were the same errors I got 
from the unmodified sources).  I've *not* run extensive tests on the 
resulting builds --- I'm willing to do that, but it seemed a bit early 
at this stage.

I did not attempt to make the patches compatible with both 
autoconf-2.13 and autoconf-2.5x --- I suspect that would be a 
significant challenge, and converting to automake-1.7 and autoconf-2.5x 
was difficult enough.

More information about the Binutils mailing list