objdump, 64-bit objects and Solaris kernel modules

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Sat Feb 8 09:34:00 GMT 2003

Hi Steve,

> I am using Sun's cc: Forte Developer 7 C 5.4 2002/03/09 and binutils
> 2.11.2 (from sunfreeware.com).

First step - download the latest binutils release (2.13.2) or the
latest CVS sources.  It is possible that the problem has already been
fixed.

> I'm willing to help debug this problem, but I'll need some pointers
> on where to start.

Have a look at binutils/objdump.c:show_line().  This is the function
that should display the source lines.  The problem, however is most
likely to be with the function: bfd_find_nearest_line().  This is
vectored function whoes actual code depends upon the target you are
using, and the file formats and debug formats that it uses.  I do not
know which debug format the Forte Developer package uses, but it is
probably generating ELF format binaries using either the DWARF or
STABS debug formats.  So have a look at
bfd/elf.c:_bfd_elf_find_nearest_line() and follow the code from there.