[ELF] symbol sets handling [2]

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Sat Feb 8 06:09:00 GMT 2003

Fabio Alemagna <falemagn@studenti.unina.it> writes:

> Another thing I'd like to propose - but dunno if it's doable or not - is
> to make the symbol sets "sortable" by appending to the section name a dot
> and a priority number. That way one could use the SORT() ld constructor to
> sort the sections and hence the symbols they contain, much like c++
> constructors are handled.

Where would the priority number come from?  For that matter, what are
you trying to sort?  Do you want to sort a collection of symbol set
sections?  If so, why?  Or do you want to sort the symbols within a
single symbol set section?  If so, changing the section name won't
help.  I think you could do that by using a linker script which names
the symbol set explicitly; admittedly that loses the main benefit of
symbol sets, which is that they are defined automatically without
linker script support, but do you really have that many symbol sets
which need to be sorted?

Ian