[patch] MIPS/ELF: %call_r/%got_r operators for relocation override

Thiemo Seufer ica2_ts@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Sat Aug 30 03:44:00 GMT 2003

Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> On 28 Aug 2003, Richard Sandiford wrote:
>
> > Yeah, I see your point.  It probably would be bad faith to just remove
> > the old functionality without something to replace it.

About some points in this discussion:

- The assumption about 'la $25' being a CALL is always ok for SVR4_PIC,
  $25 is reserved for only this purpose.

  (d)lca will do the same as (d)la in this case. I'm not convinced of
  changing the (d)la semantics, is there some real benefit in selectively
  disabling lazy binding for some calls?

- 'jalr lnk, trg' allows in principle other registers than $31 as link,
  but this wouldn't conform to any ABI I know of. It could have some use
  for highly optimized code, but such code will most likely use branches
  instead of jumps.

  For such code, (d)lca would provide some convenience, but I don't
  think it is actually used somewhere.

Thiemo