PATCH: add PGI (SGS Thomson) DWARF extensions to readelf

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 09:53:00 GMT 2003


Hi James,

> Here's a patch which adds some PGI DWARF extensions to readelf.
> 
> I hope it's small and obvious enough not to need a copyright
> assignment

Normally I would say that this patch does need a copyright assignment,
since it is adding a new feature - the ability to decode PGI
extensions to DWARF2 to the readelf tool.  I might consider it to be
"obvious" if it could be described in a single, simple sentence, but
without documentation of the extensions I do not think that this can
be done.


: Doug Evans <dje@transmeta.com> writes:
:
: I think the patch should include a reference to some documentation
: about the extensions.

I am sorry, but I agree with Doug on this one.  Without some
non-proprietary documentation to verify the numbers and meanings of
the PGI extensions we cannot really accept the patch.  If you can
point us at such documentation, then I would be happy to reconsider the
patch.  Alternatively if you would care to obtain an FSF copyright
assignment, and then resubmit the patch, we will reconsider it then.

Cheers
        Nick
        



More information about the Binutils mailing list