[mips patch rfa] slight tweak to vr5400 "mul" opcode

Richard Sandiford rsandifo@redhat.com
Sat Apr 5 07:48:00 GMT 2003

I notice you've cc'ed me on this one. ;)  Not really my work but...

cgd@broadcom.com writes:
> I've been going through and trying to do some more testsuite
> improvements, and i noticed that the vr5400 3-operand "mul" opcode,
> unlike the rest of the "mul" opcode entries, _requires_ 3 operands.
>
> i.e., normally:
>
> 	mul foo, bar
>
> means the same as:
>
> 	mul foo, foo, bar
>
> but for vr5400 you _must_ use the latter form.  I couldn't find any
> documentation to support this requirement.

...how useful is it to hide the duplicated operand?  IMO it's very
easily confused with:

        mult foo, bar

which of course is completely different.

On the other hand, I don't think there's any reason why the vr5432 case
should be special.  It might as well be consistent with mips32 & mips64.
So your patch looks OK to me.

Richard