gas failed "make check" on linux/mipsel

H. J. Lu hjl@lucon.org
Mon Sep 23 12:13:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:31:27AM -0700, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> At Mon, 23 Sep 2002 17:26:54 +0000 (UTC), "H. J. Lu" wrote:
> > >
> > > Did you try the ld testsuite w/ this patch, to see if it causes the
> > > ld-misc-2 test to be fixed as well?
> >
> > I only use Linux/mips.
>
> Hmm.  It's almost certain that those in no way depend on 'mips*-*-elf'
> specifically.

Have you looked at ld-mips-elf/mips-elf.exp? I saw

	# Run embedded-pic tests only if generic ELF.
	if { [istarget mips*-*-elf] } {

> Those tests probably should be in a more generic location in the
> test script (which currently doesn't really exist 8-).
>

> > I believe branches to globals should be resolved by the assenbler if it
> > is defined in the same file unless gcc will generate such instructions.
>
> Hmm, OK.  (That countermands your previous desire... presumably based
> on the point that branches to externals aren't defined by any known
> ABI.)

Well, "branch to externals" can mean many things. As long as gcc won't
generate those instructions, I am happy. The change I put in fixed some
shared library tests in ld on Linux/mips.

H.J.