New binutils directory src/include/cpu/ for .cpu and .opc files?

Doug Evans dje@transmeta.com
Mon Sep 23 09:26:00 GMT 2002

Nick Clifton writes:
 > There have been several
 > suggestions:
 >
 >   src/include/cpu/
 >   src/cpu/
 >   src/cpu/<cpu>/
 >   src/cgen-cpu/
 >   src/cgen/cpu/
 >   src/cgen/fsf-cpu/

Nit: It was src/cpu/<something>/
I originally said src/cpu/cgen but I actually like src/cpu/<cpu> better.
In my previous message I only phrased it as src/cpu to restart
the discussion.

 > The src/cgen... ideas suffer from the problem that the cgen directory
 > is not part of the binutils package, and will not become so, unless it
 > is fully contributed to the FSF.  (Of course having the cpu files
 > without also having cgen available is rather pointless...)

Yep.  Maybe we can coax the Redhat powers-that-be into contributing it.
1/2 :-)

 > I liked the src/include/cpu idea because I see the cpu files as being
 > similar to the headers files of C programs, and it is easier to add a
 > sub-directory than a new top level directory, but nobody else seemed
 > to go for the idea.

I dislike it because include/<something> is not where I'd
expect to find .cpu files.  It's a hack, not a solution.

 > So that leaves creating a new top level directory and adding it to the
 > binutils project.  As far as I can see there are no non-cgen related
 > files that would go in this TLD,

That's only there aren't any other kinds of ports that do things
the cgen way.  I hate inventing solutions for non-problems too,
but ...

 > so I would prefer calling it
 > 'cgen-cpu' to just 'cpu'.

I HATE cgen-cpu.  It breaks tab-completion of cgen/.
[Heh, as an experiment create gdb-<something> in Redhat's tools
repository [do people still call it devo?] and see how many complaints
you get from those ornery gdb folks. :-)  OTOH, maybe gcc-<something>
would be better.  Or even just gc/.  Whoever uses emacs more and
whichever doesn't already have a -<something> dir.]

Besides, what if other ways of doing things (e.g. non-cgen) arise?
Or what if other kinds of non-tool-specific files arise?
Now you've got cgen-cpu and fubar-cpu.  Just punt and have
cpu/<cpu>.  Given that we're creating a new TLD, make it more general,
not less general.

 > Thus unless there are any objections in the next few days, I will
 > create 'cgen-cpu' at the end of the week (and post a message when I
 > have done so).

I object, fwiw of course.