MIPS assembler branch relaxations

Paul Koning pkoning@equallogic.com
Sat Sep 14 18:43:00 GMT 2002

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel Jacobowitz <drow@mvista.com> writes:

 Daniel> Why beqzl?  Admittedly, I don't know much about MIPS
 Daniel> hardware, but I'd think that just "b" would probably be
 Daniel> faster, since that's the normal unconditional branch.
 >> Not only that, but MIPS64 explicitly deprecates all flavors of
 >> "branch likely" which is why gcc has a way to avoid generating
 >> them.  So the assembler should either have the same conditional
 >> stuff, or avoid them entirely.

 Daniel> That's not a problem here - Alex's patch only generated
 Daniel> branch-likely in response to existing branch-likely in the
 Daniel> source.

Oh, right, I overlooked that.  Agreed...

    paul