New binutils directory src/include/cpu/ for .cpu and .opc files?

Hans-Peter Nilsson hp@bitrange.com
Sat Sep 14 08:11:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> > On Thu, 12 Sep 2002, Andrew Cagney wrote:
> >
> >> I'd like to propose a new directory:
> >>
> >> 	src/include/cpu/
> >>
> >> The directory would contain the CGEN .cpu and .opc input files used to
> >> generate CGEN based binutils disassemblers, assemblers and (?)
> >> relocations.  GDB could also use these files when generating CGEN based
> >> simulators.
> >>
> >> The directory would be part of the FSF's BINUTILS package and, hence,
> >> would be covered by the BINUTILS copyright assignment.
>
> > Being part of binutils requires copyright for all parts to
> > belong to the FSF.
>
> ``The [new, initially empty] directory would be part of the FSF's
> BINUTILS package and, hence, would be covered by the BINUTILS copyright
> assignment.''

Thanks for the clarification.  I didn't see the "initially
empty" part at all implied by "new".  Frankly I think it's the
wrong solution to any copyright problem to introduce *another*
directory for these files.  Also, it seems odd to put it solely
under the binutils domain.  What about CGEN ports only intended
for simulators?

brgds, H-P