PPC relocs in shared libraries

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Tue Oct 1 00:43:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 09:54:04AM -0700, Richard Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 27, 2002 at 09:07:55AM -0400, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > I still don't understand why GDB needs to care about reloc sections in
> > ET_DYN/ET_EXEC.
>
> The relocation is the only way to associate the real address with the
> debug info in the case of dynamic linker overrides.

Hmm, OK.  ld.so won't do the reloc for gdb though, will it?  So gdb
will need to be quite clever about symbol resolution.  No reason not
to emit the relocs though, except to reduce file size.

My recollection is that there was some question over whether it is
correct to emit debug section relocs for stabs, and that's why many
binutils targets don't emit debug relocs.  Ian?

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre