'make check' failures building red hat 8.0 binutils?

Dan Kegel dank@kegel.com
Fri Nov 22 08:30:00 GMT 2002

Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:49:29PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
>
>>I wanted to use mpatrol on redhat, but it wants libiberty to be
>>available as a shared library. ...
>>Red Hat doesn't ship libiberty that way, so I tried building
>>red hat 8.0's binutils from the srpm without any tweaks.
>>Running /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/binutils-2.13.90.0.2/gas/testsuite/gasp/gasp.exp ...
>>FAIL: gasp assign
>
> That is because RHL binutils up to the one in 8.0 used to be build in source
> dir, ie. ./configure ... and the gasp search in the testsuite is confused by
> seeing gasp subdirectory.
> binutils in Red Hat rawhide already build in separate build dir and the
> tests pass.
> Though I think it would be good idea to just cvs remove the whole
> gas/testsuite/gasp subdirectory, there is no need to test gasp when it is
> no longer included.

Thanks.  I removed that subdirectory, and now make check runs fine.

On to the next hurdle.  The srpm already configured with --enable-shared,
but libiberty's configure still didn't make a shared library.  So I followed
http://sed.free.fr/mark_malloc/doc.html, and just did

# cd libiberty/pic
# gcc -shared --whole-archive -o libiberty.so *.o
# cp libiberty.so /usr/lib

This made mpatrol happy; now 'mpatrol -d /bin/ls' actually executes
ls successfully instead of complaining about the lack of libiberty.so.
(It'd be nice if Debian and Red Hat shipped libiberty.so *just to support
mpatrol et al*, if for no other reason.)

On to actually debugging my program!

Thanks all,
Dan