'make check' failures building red hat 8.0 binutils?

Jakub Jelinek jakub@redhat.com
Fri Nov 22 02:38:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Nov 21, 2002 at 06:49:29PM -0800, Dan Kegel wrote:
> I wanted to use mpatrol on redhat, but it wants libiberty to be
> available as a shared library.  (Seems to be a common desire of
> heap debugging tools that don't require you to recompile your program.)
> Red Hat doesn't ship libiberty that way, so I tried building
> red hat 8.0's binutils from the srpm without any tweaks.
>
> Sadly, the build failed :-(
>
> There's no obvious red hat mailing list to report this to,
> so I thought I'd ask for opinions here before I submitted
> a bug report to red hat.
>
> The commands I used were:
> rpm -i binutils-2.13.90.0.2-2.src.rpm
> rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/expect-5.38.0-74.i386.rpm
> rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/dejagnu-1.4.2-6.noarch.rpm
> cd /usr/src/redhat/SPECS
> rpmbuild -bp binutils.spec
> rpmbuild -bc --short-circuit binutils.spec
>
> My system's an Intel Pentium III, 450MHz.
>
> Here's the tail of the log:

> Running /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/binutils-2.13.90.0.2/gas/testsuite/gasp/gasp.exp ...
> FAIL: gasp assign
> FAIL: gasp condass

That is because RHL binutils up to the one in 8.0 used to be build in source
dir, ie. ./configure ... and the gasp search in the testsuite is confused by
seeing gasp subdirectory.
binutils in Red Hat rawhide already build in separate build dir and the
tests pass.
Though I think it would be good idea to just cvs remove the whole
gas/testsuite/gasp subdirectory, there is no need to test gasp when it is
no longer included.

	Jakub