Vendor version strings

Graeme Peterson gp@qnx.com
Thu Nov 21 11:32:00 GMT 2002

Hi.  Recently, the following was brought to my attention:

  http://sources.redhat.com/gdb/current/onlinedocs/gdbint_15.html#SEC130

Specifically:

  "To avoid version conflicts, vendors are expected to modify the file
   `gdb/version.in' to include a vendor unique alphabetic identifier (an
   official GDB release never uses alphabetic characters in its version
   identifer)."

We are in the process of fixing our version string for QNX's release
of gdb.

Are there any similar requirements for gcc and binutils?  If so, what
files need modifying, and what conventions are there?

Thanks.
GP