[RFA] Replace strdup with xstrdup in tic30-dis.c

Andrew Cagney ac131313@redhat.com
Tue Nov 19 14:09:00 GMT 2002

> On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 11:26:12AM -0500, Andrew Cagney wrote:
>
>> I know BFD intentionally doesn't use the x*() functions.  Instead it
>> tries to clean up and return an error indication when there is a
>> malloc() failure.
>>
>> What of the disassembler though?  GDB, which is depending on the
>> disassembler, needs to be able to recover from low memory (aka malloc()
>> failure) conditions.
>

> I OK'd the patch too quickly, then remembered the no xmalloc rule..
> Then on grepping through opcodes/*, I saw so many xmalloc and xstrdup
> calls that I hardly felt like correcting the patch.  We're no worse
> off with an xstrdup call than an unchecked strdup call.  :-(

Perhaphs the coding standard applies to just bfd?

Assuming it does apply to opcodes/, remember, you've got to start
somewhere.  One good pace to start is to stop the addition of further
stray xmalloc() calls.

Andrew