Newbie maintainer's first commit

Nick Clifton nickc@redhat.com
Mon Nov 11 07:21:00 GMT 2002

Hi Svein,

> Do I have to post a diff of the (target specific) changes that I'm
> going to commit every time on the binutils mailinglist?

Yes.

> I.e. of the files I'm having the maintainer responsibility for. Or
> can I simply check them in as I see fit?

No - it is always best to document what you do.  It is OK to post a
message with the diff, the ChangeLog entry, a short explanation of
what the patch is doing, and a message saying "commited as maintainer
of target FOO".

If there are ever any problems with a patch, the first place people
will look is the mailling list archive.  (OK, maybe the second, after
the ChangeLog, or maybe the third, after the sources themselves.  But
you get the idea).