Newbie maintainer's first commit

Svein E. Seldal Svein.Seldal@solidas.com
Wed Nov 6 02:51:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I've gained write access to the binutils source tree, and I'd like to
use my first opertunity to update the maintainers file. OK to commit?

I have a pile of questions, as I've never done this before, so please
guide me....

- How is the changelogs managed? Are they handled automatically by e.g.
from the cvs ci log messages, or do I have to do a normal edit-then-"cvs
ci" process on the appropriate changelog? (I think I know the answer,
but I just wanna make sure.)

- When I am responsible for a specific target; What (specific)
files/directories, if any, can I commit without getting prior approval?
And if I change a top-level file, say config.sub, who performs the
actual checkin (after approval), me or the responsible authority for
this file?

- Up until now, I have been using and testing binutils with "ordinary
user" configure settings. I see that a special maintainer mode exists.
What is the advantage of using this maintainer mode? How can I enable
and compile all targets? (Are there any other configure trick I should
be aware of as a maintainer?)

Thanks all,
Svein

binutils/ChangeLog:
2002-11-06  Svein E. Seldal  <Svein.Seldal@solidas.com>

	* MAINTAINERS: Add self as TIC4X maintainer.