Problems generating shared library for MIPS using binutils-2.13...

Daniel Jacobowitz dan@debian.org
Tue Nov 5 10:31:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 06:17:55PM +0000, Richard Sandiford wrote:
> Daniel Jacobowitz <dan@debian.org> writes:
> > Surely we can't...  Remember what EF_MIPS_ARCH says: it's actually what
> > we call ISA level elsewhere!  I just spent a day beating on this and
> > settled for untagged instead of correctly-tagged binaries; I was trying
> > to built SB-1 binaries (that's EF_MIPS_MACH of EF_MIPS_MACH_SB1) for a
> > 32-bit userland (that's EF_MIPS_ARCH_2).  Not just E_MIPS_ABI_O32, but
> > actually -mips2 code.
>
> I'm not sure what you want from a MIPS II SB-1 binary, though.
> Does it mean that you can't use instructions that are defined
> in the MIPS32 ISA but not the MIPS II one?  But you can use
> the SB-1-specific instructions (i.e. those not defined in the
> MIPS64 ISA)?

Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree... yes, it seems that I am....

The principal thing is that I want O32 code.  You can't use a higher
ISA level than MIPS2 and still use O32, as far as I understand. And
this setup has a 32-bit kernel, so using MIPS3/4/64 instructions in
userspace is a real losing proposition.

I obviously want -mtune=sb1.  So probably I should just be using
-mtune=sb1 -mips2.  And hack the GENERATE_BRANCHLIKELY test to honor
-mtune.  Blech, I wish these options were less confusing!

--
Daniel Jacobowitz