PATCH (take 2) - QNX bfd cleanup

Graeme Peterson gp@qnx.com
Fri Nov 1 08:12:00 GMT 2002

As Kris mentioned in his posting, we are not removing QNX support.
I don't think I can, as the code now belongs to the FSF, not me or
QNX (that copyright assignment thing ;-) ).

I had already addressed this in a response to another e-mail, which
you may have missed:

	http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-10/msg00674.html

We are cleaning it up by removing the bfd_*qnx_vec entries, and
instead using the base vectors that we had originally extended.

There are a variety of reasons, including the ambiguous name issue,
but not limited to that.  The code that required a set of qnx bfd's
(which then also may have required an ELFOSABI_QNX), has other
problems, and after researching things, we are not convinced that
it is the right way to solve the problem we want solved.

>From the diff, bfd/config.bfd:

	*** 371,377 ****
	      targ_selvecs=i386coff_vec
	      ;;
	    i[3456]86-*-nto-qnx*)
	!     targ_defvec=bfd_elf32_i386qnx_vec
	      targ_selvecs=i386coff_vec
	      ;;
	    i[3456]86-*-chorus*)
	--- 371,377 ----
	      targ_selvecs=i386coff_vec
	      ;;
	    i[3456]86-*-nto-qnx*)
	!     targ_defvec=bfd_elf32_i386_vec
	      targ_selvecs=i386coff_vec
	      ;;
	    i[3456]86-*-chorus*)

And similarly for arm, sh and ppc.  Every binutils that QNX has ever
released used the base vectors.  I want the GNU source to go back to
that so we can re-investigate things and re-implement a better solution.

I am fairly sure I have achieved this in the 2nd patch.  Can you review
it and let me know?  If I have in fact removed any QNX support, this is
an error, although I am pretty sure I have not.

Thanks and let me know.
GP