binutils is totally broken for ia64

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Wed May 22 16:58:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 03:06:03PM -0700, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 11:32:28AM -0700, H . J . Lu wrote:
>
>  > http://sources.redhat.com/ml/binutils/2002-05/msg00222.html
>  >
>  > totally breaks ia64. Please build a cross binutils to Linux/ia64 and
>  > run "make check".
>
> This broke the Alpha ELF target (gas is unable to handle building
> libgcc), as well (I just sent a message about it).

Yuck.  ia64 is broken because HANDLE_ALIGN assumes 128 byte section
alignment.  I'm not familiar enough with ia64 to know whether 128
byte section alignment is really what is required.

My approach to fixing this is just going to be defining
SUB_SEGMENT_ALIGN for ia64 and alpha to mimic the old behaviour.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre