i386 and "R_386_16 relocation against SEC_MERGE section"

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Wed May 8 07:33:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 10:52:52AM +0200, Etienne Lorrain wrote:
>   I just downloaded the lastest binutils.tar.bz2 from
> ftp://sources.redhat.com/pub/binutils/snapshots/
>  and got the same problem reloc 16 vs SEC_MERGE.

I have a patch for this, which I'll commit tomorrow.  Also fixes
a similar situation with 16 bit relocs and ld -r.

>  BTW, is it normal that when you make and install the binutil toolchain
> in a custom directory , the binary directory do contains objdump,
> objcopy, ar, ld ... but no as. The assembler name is something like
> i386-pc-linux-as ?

Possibly a result of gas/configure being generated with a
different version of autoconf.  I've regenerated it.  Try again.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre