The CVS server is refusing connection

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Tue Mar 26 10:38:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 10:02:56AM -0700, law@redhat.com wrote:
>In message <003f01c1d4e6$268c4ca0$b6010c0a@catdog>, "Kris Warkentin" writes:
> > I hadn't seen this but a while ago I kept having the cvs server poop out,
> > complaining that 'server load of [some number] too high' or some such.  I
> > think they have some server side configuration issues.
>This is deliberate.  Servicing anoncvs connections is one of the largest
>drains on resources for sources.redhat.com/gcc.gnu.org.
>
>Once the load average reaches a certain threshold anonymous CVS connections
>are refused.

As Ian discovered, this was actually due to a gaffe on my part.  I had
added a 'nice' to the anonymous cvs server and got the path wrong.

>We have purchased a new machine to host these services, but due to goofs
>internal to Red Hat we have been unable to install the new machine.

This isn't entirely accurate.

I probably have a nice new machine from the ArsDigita aquisition but
it's waiting for things to settle down there before I can grab it.  Once
I get it, I'll be setting it up with newer versions of everything and it
will eventually show up at the colo in Sunnyvale.

No ETA, yet.

cgf