off by one in bfd/syms.c or bfd/elfcode.h?

Gregory Steuck greg@nest.cx
Tue Mar 26 08:36:00 GMT 2002

    >> Note that we base it on the count plus 1, since we will null
    >> terminate the vector allocated based on this size.  However, the
    >> ELF symbol table - always has a dummy entry as symbol #0, so it
    >> ends up even.

    hjl> Why (symcount - 1 + 1)?

That's the way it was and according to the comment above it's to make it
clear that we subtract 1 for the empty symbol #0 and then add one for
the terminating null pointer. Except there is no symbol #0 when symbol
table is empty, which caused the problem that started me on this path.