ld i386 differences 2.10.2 / 2.12

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Mon Mar 25 22:51:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 26, 2002 at 04:39:51PM +1030, Alan Modra wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 04:34:03PM +0100, Etienne Lorrain wrote:
>
> >  2) a lot of "prohibited cross reference" in between sections, probably
> >    due to the lines in boot.lnk (make boot.lnk):
> > NOCROSSREFS (.text .extra);
> > NOCROSSREFS (.extra_text .text_extra);
> >    while using intermediate segments .Xextra2text and .Xtext2extra
> >    which can themselves have cross references.
> >
> >    I do not see the reason why this is only on ld-2.12, have the
> >    cross reference algorithm been changed to be recusive?
>
> You've likely found a bug in some changes I made.

Now that I've actually looked at the warnings in detail, it appears
they are all
  prohibited cross reference from .extra_text to `.Xtext2extra' in .text_extra
or
  prohibited cross reference from .text_extra to `.Xextra2text' in .extra_text

But that's exactly what you asked for.  NOCROSSREFS works on output
sections, and .Xtext2extra is part of the .text_extra output section.
Similarly, .Xextra2text is part of the .extra_text output section.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre