Problem with LD_PRELOAD

Ian Lance Taylor ian@airs.com
Tue Mar 19 15:24:00 GMT 2002

Manuel Arriaga <m.arriaga@ip.pt> writes:

> So my question is: why aren't all calls to open() being redirected to the
> preloaded object? Why does this redirection only work in some cases?

I would guess that cp is not calling open().  strace does not report
the libc functions called by a program.  It reports the system calls
called by a program.  I would guess that cp is calling some libc
function which calls the system call open().  Use objdump -T to see
which dynamic symbols appear in cp; if open() is not one of them, then
using LD_PRELOAD will not be able to intercept calls to open().

Ian