GCC mainline snapshots

Christopher Faylor cgf@redhat.com
Fri Mar 15 11:06:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 10:09:06AM -0800, David O'Brien wrote:
>On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 05:55:21PM +0100, Gerald Pfeifer wrote:
>> On Sat, 9 Mar 2002, David O'Brien wrote:
>> > Does anyone know of any place to find mainline snapshots?
>>
>> Apparently not; that is, we should consider providing mainline snapshots
>> to gcc.gnu.org after the box has been updated. (And, actually, we could do
>> that even now, provided that we only offer the most current snapshot --
>> would that help?)
>
>Maybe.  Is it a disk space or bandwidth issue.
>There is a lot in gcc/snapshots that could be rm'ed to get more space:
>
>    * snapshots dating back to November and December 2001
>    * snapshots dating back to January 2002
>    * pre-release snapshots for 3.0.3.
>    * pre-release snapshots for 3.0.4.
>
>Also:
>
>    * binutils 2.11 pre-prelease snapshots
>    * binutils 2.12 pre-prelease snapshots
>    * glibc snapshots dating back to 2000
>    * gnats snapshots dating back to 1997,8,9
>    * xconq snapshots dating back to 1999
>    * automake snapshots (I think the lettered versions are snapshots)
>
>that would give enough space for say 3 mainline snapshots.  Three would
>be a better number -- sometimes the snapshots break on a loved platform,
>plus the lag time in noticing a new snapshot and in my case, moving the
>FreeBSD port to using it.

I would love it if we could clean up these snapshots, however we aren't
currently too bad with respect to disk space right now.

The problem currently is available CPU.  The load level keeps spiking,
causing anonymous cvs to stall.  So, I'd like to propose that snapshots
be built on some other system and uploaded to gcc.gnu.org.  That should
result in only a very minimal impact on load level.

FWIW, I'm still pursuing a hardware upgrade for this system.  Things are
progressing, but slowly.

I will post details when I have something concrete.  Until then, please
don't ask me for details.

cgf