recent mips-elf linker "architecture ... incompatible" regressions

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Wed Mar 13 17:58:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 07:24:16PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 03:59:42PM -0800, cgd@broadcom.com wrote:
> > Recently -- not quite sure when, haven't tracked it down -- building
> > on host sparc-solaris for --target=mips-elf started showing the
> > following ld testsuite errors:
>
> Past day or two.  Alan's patches, which were meant to prevent crashes
> in linking 32-bit and 64-bit code together, presumably tightened the
> compatibility checks.  He said in his patch MIPS would be affected.

Guilty as charged.  mips is tricky.  You have 64 bit code using ELF32,
right?  So the check I added to bfd_default_compatible is wrong for
mips, and also the check in elf_bfd_final_link.  We really want to test
the reloc size, not the word size.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre