PalmOS (m68k-palmos-coff)

John Marshall jmarshall@acm.org
Wed Mar 13 08:41:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 10:14:34AM -0500, Ryan VanderBijl wrote:
> I looking at starting to do some development for the PalmOS.
> One of the instructions for prc-tools (used for doing development for
> PalmOS)

And another of the instructions is about where to post questions.

> I tried to apply the patch to the 2.12 tree (using --dry-run). Wow,
> that was fun.  Some of the patches were successfully applied. Some
> were found hundres of lines off. Some wanted to go into reverse patch
> mode.

That means it didn't work.  If you look at 2.12's coff-m68k.c or
m68kcoff.em you'll see why.

> So, after all that, does anyone know if binutils-2.12 is safe for
> developing for the PalmOS?

Until such time as these patches are contributed back to mainline
binutils, asking about them on the binutils mailing list is not
particularly helpful.  Since they are a part of prc-tools, you might
like to use the prc-tools-devel mailing list which you can find at
http://prc-tools.sourceforge.net/ or by reading the prc-tools README.
Or you might like to try contacting the person whose name and email
address appear seven times in the patch you attached :-).

If you look in prc-tools CVS you'll see that I pushed these patches from
2.9.1 to 2.11.2 two months ago.  Because of the various issues noted in
the changelogs [1], this was a fairly large change.  Applying these newer
patches to 2.12 will be much more successful; I'll probably update them
to apply to 2.12 instead of 2.11.2 soon.

    John

[1] http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/prc-tools/prc-tools/binutils-2.11.2.palmos.diff