2.12.x branch future?

David O'Brien obrien@FreeBSD.org
Sun Mar 10 12:04:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, Mar 09, 2002 at 04:28:18PM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> > Is there going to be a 2.12.1?  ("hope so" 8-)
>
> I don't know.  I would rather not; I would rather a 2.13 whenever
> someone feels the need for a 2.12.

I hope you will reconsider.  There has *always* been a need for at least
a .1 release to fix bugs that where not discovered in the beta process.
One cannot expect 6-9 months of new development to have all its new bugs
found during the limited beta exposure Binutils gets.

Please also remember that the *BSD's do not use the mainline code -- that
we stick with tested released software.  FreeBSD will move to 2.12.0 in
2-3 weeks, now that it is out.  Last I talked with Jason Thorpe, NetBSD
will also move to 2.12.0 RSN (IIRC).  Thus the *BSD's (much less the less
"organized" users) will need bug fixes to a .0 release.

To summarize, please consider who your audience is and your purpose of
even cutting releases.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)