First suggestion to lift version handling

Christian Jönsson c.christian.joensson@telia.com
Tue Mar 5 05:56:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 01:46:16PM +0100, Christian Jönsson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 12:13:50PM +0100, Christian Jönsson wrote:
> > Here's my first suggestion to lift version handling in the binutils
> > sources, to differ the main branch (experimental) from (any)
> > prerelease branch. A regeneration of bfd/configure is thus needed.
> >
> > Now, let's figure out how the bfd_version_string can be used in the
> > test suite so that test results from different branches, and releases,
> > can be seen from log files.
>
> Well, the as-new --version output looks fine to me, here's main branch:
>
> GNU assembler 2.12.90 20020304 (experimental)
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License.  This program has absolutely no warranty.
> This assembler was configured for a target of `sparc-linux'.
>
> but the test suite gets it wrong:
>
>                 === gas Summary ===
>
> # of expected passes            153
> ../as-new Inc.
>

> and I would really like that to be something like
>
>                 === gas Summary ===
>
> # of expected passes            153
> /share1/gcc-dev/src/objdir/gas/as-new 2.12.90 20020304 (experimental)

I'm no good at this but if anyone could help me out with this first
one, I'm sure I could get the most of the rest myself...

This is from gas/testsuite/lib/gas-defs.exp

proc gas_version {} {
    global AS
    catch "exec $AS -version < /dev/null" tmp
    # Should find a way to discard constant parts, keep whatever's
    # left, so the version string could be almost anything at all...
    regexp "\[^\n\]* (cygnus-|)(\[-0-9.a-zA-Z-\]+)\[\r\n\].*" $tmp version cyg number
    if ![info exists number] then {
        return "[which $AS] (no version number)\n"
    }
    clone_output "[which $AS] $number\n"
    unset version
}

I guess it's the regexp line in this dejagnu/expect/tcl script that
needs some tweaking, right?

Any help is greatly appreciated, TIA.

Cheers,

/ChJ