Adding a BFD target and COFF format

Chris Rouffer chris.rouffer@zucotto.com
Wed Jun 5 14:41:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I'm trying to add a new coff format (call it mycoff_vec) to the Binary File
Descriptor library, and a new cpu (call it newtarget) to the Gnu tool chain.
The summary of the problem is fairly simple.  If I do:

cd src/bfd
./configure --target=mytarget
make
cd ../binutils
./configure --target=mytarget
make

Everything works (i.e. building bfd, then building binutils gives me a
working objdump).  From bfd/, if I do "make |grep mycoff" I get a lot of
lines containing "-DHAVE_mycoff_vec".  Also, 'ar t libbfd.a' shows that
cpu-mytarget.o and coff-mycoff.o are present.  However, if I build from the
top level I don't get any lines that say "mycoff":

cd src/
./configure --target=mytarget
make

Then support for mytarget is not built into bfd (they don't show up in
libbfd.a).  The files are not built, and running objdump reports
"./binutils/objdump: can't set BFD default target to
`mytarget-mycompany-coff': Invalid bfd target"

I'm sure this is a simple build issue, and that I have to rerun some script
or tool to incorporate support for my new target.  As I said, the coff
support works, I just can't get it to build when running my builds from the
src/ directory.  Any help you can give me will be really appreciated.  I've
been struggling with this for a while now.

Cheers, and thanks,

Chris