Gas padding object files? (XCOFF, ppc, aix)

Jason Sullivan jasonsul@us.ibm.com
Tue Jun 4 09:57:00 GMT 2002

More information on this.  The reason I was using such an odd .org to
create the offset is because of (what I think is) an actual bug.  Check out
the third csect in the attached file.  It starts at 0x0c instead of 0x00
(where it should start, right?), making the .align later in the section
actually do someting, rather than simply take up listing file space.  Is it
legal to have this many csects in an xcoff file?

(See attached file: assem_test2.as)(See attached file: assem_test2.lst)(See
attached file: assem_test2.o)
--
Jason M. Sullivan
PowerPC Embbedded Processor Solutions

                      Jason
                      Sullivan/Raleigh/IBM@I         To:      binutils@sources.redhat.com
                      BMUS                           cc:
                      Sent by:                       Subject: Gas padding object files? (XCOFF, ppc, aix)
                      binutils-owner@sources
                      .redhat.com

                      05/31/02 11:10 AM

I'm running gas on an aix machine configured with the following line....

./configure --host=rs6000-ibm-aix4.3.3.0 --target=powerpc-ibm-aix

When I assemble the attached code, gas padds a 0 in the word location after
the final branch.  I'll attach the object and listing files too, since
they're small.

(See attached file: vp_branchafvt.as)(See attached file: vp_branchafvt.lst)
(See attached file: vp_branchafvt.o)