[hjl@lucon.org: Re: PATCH: Output dwarf debug info only when needed]

Daniel Jacobowitz drow@mvista.com
Wed Jul 31 08:16:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 10:54:06AM +0100, Nick Clifton wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> > Going through my 2.13 queue - could someone please review this
> > patch?
>
> > +++ gas/dwarf2dbg.c	Tue Jun 11 14:41:25 2002
>
> > -  /* If no debug information was recorded, nothing to do.  */
> > -  if (all_segs == NULL && files_in_use <= 1)
> > +  /* If no debug information was recorded, nothing to do. Don't
> > +     emit dwarf debug info for one ".file" directive only unless
> > +     we are generating DWARF2 debugging info.  */
> > +  if (debug_type != DEBUG_DWARF2 && all_segs == NULL
> > +      && files_in_use <= 2)
> >      return;
>
> I think that the comment is rather confusing.  How about this
> rewording ?
>
>  +  /* If no debug information was recorded, then we do not need
>  +     to do anything unless we are emitting DWARF2 line tables
>  +     or there was more than one input file.  */
>  +  if (all_segs == NULL
>  +      && debug_type != DEBUG_DWARF2
>  +      && files_in_use <= 2)
>       return;

Sure.

> Also, shouldn't the test for the number of files be either
> "files_in_use <= 1" or "files_in_use < 2" ?

Actually, upon thinking about it, I think the files_in_use check should
be removed.  The "first" file in GCC is numbered '1', which will make
files_in_use == 2.  But even if there is more than one '.file'
directive, if there are no .loc directives I don't see how the
.debug_file section serves any purpose...