[patch] ns32k gas/bfd cleanup

Matt Thomas matt@3am-software.com
Sun Jul 28 16:04:00 GMT 2002


At 07:45 AM 7/28/2002, Ian Dall wrote:
>***************
>*** 1711,1717 ****
>       {
>       case 1:
>         if (val < -64 || val > 63)
>!       as_warn (_("Byte displacement out of range.  line number not valid"));
>         val &= 0x7f;
>   #ifdef SHOW_NUM
>         printf ("%x ", val & 0xff);
>--- 1731,1737 ----
>       {
>       case 1:
>         if (val < -64 || val > 63)
>!       as_warn (_("value of %ld out of byte displacement range."), val);
>         val &= 0x7f;
>   #ifdef SHOW_NUM
>         printf ("%x ", val & 0xff);
>***************
>*** 1720,1726 ****
>         break;
>       case 2:
>         if (val < -8192 || val > 8191)
>!       as_warn (_("Word displacement out of range.  line number not valid"));
>         val &= 0x3fff;
>         val |= 0x8000;
>   #ifdef SHOW_NUM
>--- 1740,1746 ----
>         break;
>       case 2:
>         if (val < -8192 || val > 8191)
>!       as_warn (_("value of %ld out of word displacement range."), val);
>         val &= 0x3fff;
>         val |= 0x8000;
>   #ifdef SHOW_NUM


I strongly believe these should as_fatal errors since they result in
an incorrect object being generated.  When I was updating the VAX gas
for ELF, I changed a lot of uses of as_warn to as_fatal.  This was due
to the fact that a build would seemingly succeed but create non-functional
programs.  If there is a problem in assembling a program, I want gas
to fail so I correct it.


-- 
Matt Thomas               Internet:   matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry      WWW URL:    http://www.3am-software.com/bio/matt/
Cupertino, CA             Disclaimer: I avow all knowledge of this message



More information about the Binutils mailing list