configure/make/make install with moving srcdir, builddir...

Mark Mitchell mark@codesourcery.com
Thu Jul 4 00:21:00 GMT 2002

--On Wednesday, July 03, 2002 07:13:57 PM -0400 Nathanael Nerode
<neroden@doctormoo.dyndns.org> wrote:

> OK.  I've figured out a relatively efficient way to handle *most* of the
> cases of 'configure', 'make', and 'make install' being done in different
> paths.
>
> There's one case this *can't* handle.  The specification of
> ${srcdir} must not change from configure time to make time to
> 'make install' time.  In other words, you can't pass a totally different
> srcdir on the 'make' command line and expect it to work.
>
> Is this acceptable, or should I try to get this case?

I think that's fine.  And if we can really simplify our makefiles that's
worth more than being able to change the $srcdir around.  We can always
add that later if someone really, really needs it.