GAS: Handling option parsing for ARM co-processor extensions

Richard Earnshaw rearnsha@arm.com
Tue Jan 15 05:03:00 GMT 2002

> On Tue, 2002-01-15 at 11:28, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
> > I've been thinking a bit about how we should handle the option parsing for
> > various ARM co-processor extensions.  Currently we have the highly bogus
> > situation where -marm9e is used to mean "add the Cirrus Maverick
> > instructions": it's bogus because arm9e is a real cpu variant from ARM.
>
> Can we not just rename -marm9e to -mmaverick or something?  That would
> match the existing options for XScale, FPA and so on.

Well, not really, since AFAICT from the Cirrus web pages, Maverick is just
a co-processor extension on a CPU.  There's nothing much to tie it to a
particular processor, so using -mmaverick to imply a particular CPU looses
flexibility.

Incidentally, I'm a bit concerned about -mxscale as a processor.  From the
documents I've read XScale seems to be more of a specification for an
architecture than a single implementation.

R.