Cross-Compling to PowerPC-WinNT

Michael Meissner meissner@cygnus.com
Mon Jan 14 06:00:00 GMT 2002

On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:41:23AM -0500, Michael Rich wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm attempting to build a cross compiler to generate PowerPC-WinNT binaries
> from my windows/x86 machine and I'm running into a few troubles.
>
> FYI, This is the source code I'm using to compile with:
> http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/reactos/binutils-2.11.90-20011023-src.tar
> .bz2
>
> To compile, I'm using the latest cygwin under Windows 2000/x86 and I issue
> the command:
>
> ./configure --target=powerpcle-winnt
>
> Configure takes a while, but finally finishes OK.
>
> I then execute the command:
>
> make all
>
> Which starts compiling and gets all the way down into LD and hits the
> following error message:
>
> gcc -W -Wall -g -O2 -o ld-new.exe ldgram.o ldlex.o lexsup.o ldlang.o mri.o
> ldctor.o ldmain.o ldwrite.o ldexp.o ldemul.o ldver.o ldmisc.o ldfile.o
> ldcref.o eppcpe.o  ../bfd/.libs/libbfd.a ../libiberty/libiberty.a
> ./../intl/libintl.a eppcpe.o: In function `pr_sym':
> /cygdrive/d/prog/ros/tmp/binutils-src/ld/eppcpe.c:902: undefined reference
> to `pe_dll_extra_pe_debug'
>
> eppcpe.o: In function `gld_ppcpe_after_open':
> /cygdrive/d/prog/ros/tmp/binutils-src/ld/eppcpe.c:914: undefined reference
> to `pe_dll_extra_pe_debug'
>
> This is my first step in trying to generate a full gcc cross compiler for
> PowerPC/WinNT, so I'd appreciate any advice/help anyone could offer in
> getting past his hurdle so I can get into actually trying to compile the
> cross-compiler itself.

I think you are the first person to try this in at least 3 years.  It was
probably 4 or 5 years since I last worked on the compiler (never did figure out
the exception handling support in PE for the PowerPC before Motorola and
Microsoft canceled it).

I would recomed trying an older binutils/gcc release, since the bits have
decayed from nobody using them.

--
Michael Meissner, Red Hat, Inc.  (GCC group)
Work:	  meissner@redhat.com		phone: +1 978-486-9304