libtool in binutils question

Steve Ellcey sje@cup.hp.com
Fri Jan 11 16:24:00 GMT 2002

> And then, there's the other issue: do we really want to require all
> developers of GCC and tools hosted in the src repo to be forced to
> switch to autoconf 2.5x?  I'd rather not make that a requirement, but
> if a newer libtool forces that decision, we may have to eventually
> take that route.

OK, I went back to see why I needed autoconf 2.5 and I found I needed it
to bootstrap the latest libtool sources (CVS top-of-tree).  I needed to
do that in order to create ltmain.sh which is created during the libtool
build process.  Once I had ltmain.sh I copied it and libtool.m4 into the
binutils (and gcc) trees and tried running automake/autoconf with
autoconf 2.13.  Unfortunately, it did not work because the new
libtool.m4 requires autoconf 2.50.

>From the libtool ChangeLog:

2001-08-01  Ossama Othman  <ossama@doc.ece.uci.edu>

        * libtool.m4 (AC_LIBTOOL_SETUP): Require Autoconf-2.50 via the
        AC_PREREQ autoconf macro since the new libtool macros utilize
        macros from that version of Autoconf.

Steve Ellcey
sje@cup.hp.com