-z defs question

Kenny Simpson theonetruekenny@yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 15:34:00 GMT 2002

Hi,
I've read over the man pages, done google searches,
but haven't found an answer to the following:

I would like some way at build time to assert that a
.so will resolve when dlopen'd at run time.  That is
that no symbols remain undefined, that the dependent
libraries are found and resolve properly, etc..

I see this "-z defs" or "--no-undefined" flags, but
they seem to give me errors about symbols from libc,
libdl, etc...

Small test case:
 test.c:
 // empty file

 gcc test.c -ldl -shared -fPIC test.so
-Wl,--no-undefined

This gives me many errors from /lib/libc.so.6 about
undefined references to _dl_* and a few __libc_
symbols.

This is an update RH7.2 setup.
gcc -v:
gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.1 2.96-98)
ld -v:
GNU ld version 2.11.90.0.8 (with BFD 2.11.90.0.8)
kernel:
2.4.7-10

PIII/450 w/128MB

Please let me know what I'm missing, if any further
info is needed, or if -z defs just plain doesn't do
what I think it does.

Thanks,
-Kenny