(toplevel) Fix dramatic breakage for ordinary crosses (related to program_transform_name)
Alexandre Oliva
aoliva@redhat.com
Sat Dec 28 01:43:00 GMT 2002
On Dec 28, 2002, Nathanael Nerode <neroden@twcny.rr.com> wrote:
> I can't reproduce exactly the problem you had, Kazu, but I did manage to
> generate some dramatic breakage; apparently autoconf's version of
> $program_transform_name doesn't like to be after the s/x/x/ in sed.
That's just because, unlike the Cygnus configure one, autoconf's
$(program_transform_name) doesn't start with a -e. In fact, autoconf
uses `;' as the sed command separator, whereas Cygnus configure used
to use multiple sed commands, each one prefixed by -e. autoconf's
approach is reportedly a little bit more portable.
This unfortunately means that your fix is not quite perfect yet, since
multiple transform commands would be word-split and sed might take
them as input file names. I suggest replacing:
t='$(program_transform_name)'; echo as | sed -e $$t ; \
with
echo as | sed '$(program_transform_name)'; \
that is the construct used by automake.
--
Alexandre Oliva Enjoy Guarana', see http://www.ic.unicamp.br/~oliva/
Red Hat GCC Developer aoliva@{redhat.com, gcc.gnu.org}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp oliva@{lsd.ic.unicamp.br, gnu.org}
Free Software Evangelist Professional serial bug killer
More information about the Binutils
mailing list