PATCH: Fix native warning

DJ Delorie dj@delorie.com
Wed Dec 18 15:06:00 GMT 2002

> Say build is i686-linux, target is i686-linux and host is ia64-linux.
> The just built gcc will be hosted on ia64-linux and targeted for
> i686-linux. How do you run the just built ia64-linux gcc binary on
> i686-linux? In that case, the compiler used to build gcc is a cross
> compiler from i686-linux to ia64-linux. The compiler for build is the
> native compiler for i686-linux. When I did that last time, I made sure
> the native compiler came from the same source.

Normally, /bin/cc would be used to build the build libiberty, and
i686-linux-gcc would be used to build the target library.  Ideally,
i686-linux-gcc would have been built from the same sources as you're
building the ia64 cross with, in case there are interface issues.

> > > What if I want to use the current binutils with gcc 3.2?
> >
> > I don't see what that has to do with anything.
>
> gcc 3.2 may not have the changes needed for your scheme to work.

It would have a makefile that works with its toplevel files.  If you
are mixing and matching sources from two different points in time,
you're on your own.