[RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.

Alan Modra amodra@bigpond.net.au
Thu Dec 5 14:36:00 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 01:31:52PM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> But I do see a way forward.  It goes like this.  One directory at a
> time, we go through and do whatever it takes to get that directory's
> configure.in to work properly with both 2.13 and 2.5x, independent of
> what version of autoconf was used to generate configure in other
> directories.  This may involve submitting patches to the autoconf
> maintainers.  Whoever volunteers to do this must be willing to
> maintain these scripts in that state indefinitely -- I did it for the
> gcc subdirectory a year or so ago and I discovered a couple weeks back
> that it had mysteriously broken.

I'm concerned that this proposal may be raising the bar too high.
How long has it been since some poor fool^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hbrave soul
attempted to modernize binutils configury?

It seems that the major impact of configuring parts of a tree using
different autoconf versions will be on people using
--enable-maintainer-mode, so another solution might be to extend
--enable-maintainer-mode to accept a list of directories.  I suspect
most developers will only want --enable-maintainer-mode in the
particular area they work on.

--
Alan Modra
IBM OzLabs - Linux Technology Centre