[RFC] Update to current automake/autoconf/libtool versions.

Klee Dienes klee@apple.com
Thu Dec 5 10:28:00 GMT 2002

My primary interest in all of this is to fully merge the Apple
Binutils/GDB sources into the FSF tree, which requires some changes to
libtool that are only in more recent versions of libtool/autoconf.

My secondary interest is that I seem to spend a lot of time hacking
Binutils/GDB makefiles, and I'd like that process to be as painless as
possible.

I'm in a moderate hurry for the gdb/binutils changes, mainly because
Apple needs to have some form of the changes to enable the FSF sources
to build properly on our platform, and I find the mental load of
maintaining the divergent sources to be a headache, particularly when
preparing patches.

I'm in no particular hurry for the libiberty changes, since it doesn't
use libtool anyway and the current build setup works fine for Apple in
the short-term.  I eventually hope to libtool-ize libiberty as well,
but that can certainly wait until an appropriate time in the GCC
release cycle.